|JOB POSTING HELENA UTILITY DEPARTMENT LABORER I POSITION|
Helena Utility Department
Job Title: Laborer I
Work involves manual labor of unskilled to semi-skilled nature including both heavy and medium physical labor to install, repair, and maintain both water/wastewater mains, valves, pipes, meters, hydrants and other duties that may arise. Be available at all hours of the day or night for emergency call outs. Also to assist more experienced personnel in the listed duties and responsibilities as directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Will need to live in the Helena area or very close proximity for being placed on call for after hours and weekend emergencies.
· Must have the ability to establish and maintain a working relationship with employees and the general public.
· Operate vehicles and trucks (May operate larger trucks with proper CDL license.)
· Flush and clean water mains, exercise valves and fire hydrants also repair and service as needed.
· Lay, maintain, repair, and connect, both water/wastewater mains and services.
· Tap into water mains, install and repair service lines, set and read water meters.
· Perform maintenance on system vehicles and supporting equipment.
· Assist in line locations and valve locations.
· Assist in cut-offs and reconnect service and work orders.
· May operate backhoes and other heavy equipment as needed.
· Cutting grass, trimming and grounds maintenance.
· Maintain water/wastewater distribution system to provide the best possible service for the customers.
· May be assigned other duties at any time.
Education and/or Experience
· High school diploma or general education degree(GED);or six months to one year
· Related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· Must hold and continue to hold a valid Alabama Drivers License
· May hold Grade II Water Operator License
· May hold CDL Drivers license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of the methods and techniques involved in the safe operations of pumps
Vehicles, tools and equipment
· Ability to understand and follow specific oral and written instructions.
· Work is performed outdoors and indoors and all types of weather (i.e. rain, storms and extreme hot and cold temperatures)
· Work is performed days, nights, weekends and holidays as emergencies may require.
· Work is medium to heavy in nature and consists of walking, bending, lifting, carrying and driving.
· No written or performance examination will be required for this position, Applicants are screened and certified based on evaluation of their education, training, experience, work history and other requirements outlined in this Position Announcement and noted on their job application and their responses to the questions at pre-employment interview(s)
Pre-employment/Post offer Drug Screening
· The City of Helena is committed to providing and maintaining a drug-free work environment. After receiving a conditional offer of employment, applicants are required to pass a drug test conducted at a test site designated by the City of Helena Utility Board.
The City of Helena Utility Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Applications for employment may be obtained at the Helena Utility Department. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM.
All resumes and applications must be sent to Teresa@cityofhelena.org by Tuesday. September 16, 2014 by 5:00PM.