Laura Joseph Pres Pro Tem
Place 4 Laura Joseph President Pro Tempore
Laura Joseph was elected to her first term on the Helena City Council in 2016, and currently serves as the Council’s President Pro Tem.
Her vision for Helena includes:
1. Continued efforts to secure much-needed infrastructure improvements
2. Supporting beneficial economic development opportunities
3. Developing a growth mindset regarding city services and departments
4. Adding value for residents through cultural, historical, and beautification initiatives
Business and Education
Laura Joseph earned her degree in Communications from the University of Alabama's College of Communication and Information Sciences in 2001, with a concentration in advertising and a minor in studio art. She is currently employed by Central State Bank as Director of Marketing.
Laura is a 2018 graduate of Leadership Shelby County, a 9-month program which invites government, business, civic and community leaders to take a comprehensive look at Shelby County, and what it takes to make it operate, grow, and prosper. Near the end of each term, class groups design and complete service projects. Laura’s group created a Master Plan for Family Connection, a multi-service nonprofit agency that serves at-risk children, families and youth through their residential youth center, school counseling and family support groups, community crisis assistance for youth, and drop-in day shelter and homeless outreach.
Laura is also a 2014 graduate of the YourTown Alabama program, a 2-day workshop which focuses on the role of design in community planning. The workshop course material addresses a range of issues in rural community planning, with special emphasis on the process by which rural communities construct a vision about their future, evaluate natural and cultural assets, and implement decisions about how their community should look and function.
Boards & Memberships
· Helena’s Buck Creek Festival, Vice Chairman
· Helena Library Board, City Council Liaison
· Helena Library Foundation, Secretary
· Helena Beautification Board, City Council Liaison
· Shelby County Big Brothers/Big Sisters Advisory Board Member
· Shelby County Republican Party, Zone 6 (Helena/Maylene) Director
· Shelby County Republican Party, Communications Director 2009-2018
· Alabama Republican Party, Executive Committee Member, 2013-current
Laura and her husband, T.J., Engineering Manager of Manufacturing at Fitz-Thors Engineering, have been married 10+ years, and have two children: Anna Kate (12) and John Marshall (8). Both children attend Helena's public schools and are involved in Helena's rec league and school sports programs. The family lives in the Old Cahaba neighborhood, and attends Riverchase United Methodist Church, where Laura teaches the 4 year old Sunday School class.